Programs all starting from $2450
What is the weather like?
In Ios, which belongs to the Cyclades Islands, and on the nearby island of Sikinos, the climate is Mediterranean, with mild, rainy winters and warm, sunny summers. The island is windy, and in summer, it is cooled by a frequent wind that blows from the north. The wind has been exploited for centuries by windmills, while in recent times, the waves generated by the wind are appreciated by surfers, especially on the north coast.
The interior of the island is occupied by hills, whose highest point, Pyrgos, reaches 711 meters (2,333 feet). The daily average temperature ranges from 10.5 °C (51 °F) in January to 24 °C (75 °F) in July. Here are the average temperatures.
What to bring?
- A sticky, non-slip yoga mat
- Yoga Belt
- Water bottle
- Travel mug for hot drinks
- Toiletries (feminine hygiene products) and towels (hand towel too)
- Writing materials: lined paper, pens, etc.
- Flashlight or headlamp (necessary)
- Battery operated alarm clock and watch (You will need to carry a watch at all times as there are no bells)
- Extra batteries
- Layers of comfortable clothing (including WARM & COOL clothes regardless of season)
- Comfortable clothes for daily yoga practice and meditation
- Fleece jacket, down vest, sweaters
- Shorts, tank tops, swimsuit
- A fun, out on the town, outfit
- Personal comfort items i.e. supplements
- Comfortable shoes for walking, and sandals
What kind of food is available?
The island is famous for its local cheeses. They are mainly made in the municipal creamery using milk from goats or sheep. The most famous one is the “skotíri” (σκοτύρι), a sour cheese with the smell of summer savory. Popular dishes of Ios are the “tsimediá” (τσιμεντιά , pumpkin flowers stuffed with rice) and “mermitzéli” (μερμιτζέλι, handmade barley). Ios has 90 restaurants from vegan to meat cuisine. Meals range $2-10 per meal.
Getting to Ios?
You can reach Ios only by sea, because there is no airport. From the port of Piraeus depart daily boats to Ios, high speed ferries and ferry boats.